Why it's Important to Eat in the First Place
During the weekend, you're going to be doing a lot of hiking, running, and fighting, so your activity level is likely to be much higher than you're used to. To make sure you’re able to enjoy all that activity, it's important to stay well-fed and hydrated.
- Skipping meals is very hard on the body. Though you’ll be on the run a fair bit during the weekend, try to make sure to eat regularly. Even smaller, more frequent meals are better than skipping meals outright.
- Drink Water. Dehydration can cause exhaustion and pain (among other things), which will really interfere with your weekend experience. It's also important to drink water. Most non-water beverages are diuretic, which means you aren’t getting as much water as you think you are.
- Eat healthy food. Make sure you’re eating fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins to maintain your energy levels throughout the entire weekend. Raw fruits, veggies and trail mix are quick, portable foods, as is cheese and jerky. Potassium helps prevent muscle cramps and Zinc is important for your immune system.
Use of the Kitchen
There are three kitchens, one in each of the major lodges. If you are interested in using it, here is some important information:
- The kitchens in the three lodges are free to use for anyone.
- The Saloon has a kitchen as well. Players can use the sink or the microwave in this kitchen. Using anything else in this kitchen requires special permission due to state regulations.
- All dishes and equipment should be cleaned, dried, and put away after your cooking time.
- Please do not use any equipment that you do not know how to use, and especially do not use any equipment that you do not know how to properly clean.
- The kitchen is an in-game area. This means you should stay in character while using the kitchen. It can be very difficult to maintain immersion while you're cooking, but do the best you can.
- Because there are a number of potential safety hazards in an active kitchen (i.e. the grill, knives, pots), an active kitchen is a non-combat zone. Combat that might interfere with the kitchen will be pulled outside and resumed.
Genre Appropriate Food
- At Dystopia Rising, we've worked very hard to create a grim setting and we continue to work hard to maintain your immersion in the world for the whole weekend. That immersion can be ruined very quickly, and modern food packages are one of the most common offenders. Here's some tips on how to enjoy your meal while keeping everyone’s immersion intact:
- Several generations have passed since the Fall. Pre-packaged, pre-Fall food is very rare. Try not to eat foods that look very modern or processed, and at the very least, try not to eat anything directly out of the bag or package. Cans should have the labels torn off.
- Try to place any food or drink into a genre-appropriate container when eating it.
- Keep your cabins clean! Nothing is more disruptive than modern cans and candy wrappers strewn about a person's sleeping area. Clean it up and hide the evidence, and everybody will have a better experience.
- Try to find appropriate ways to refer to the food you're eating. Instead of drinking 'sports drink' say 'watered down hootch' or 'fruit juice'.